History of the Annie McCall Building

The main three-storey block of the Annie McCall building was built in 1915 following the success of the earlier hospital facility established on 41/43 Jeffreys Road. The main hospital block, built of brick with stone dressing, was in the style of early 18th century architecture, typical of the type of economic and elegant design intended to provide effective accomodation for such pioneering welfare projects.

The building was further extended at ground level in 1938 in the same red brick and stone classical design, by the architect Gertrude Leverkus (1898-1989). She was one of the first women to qualify as an architect, and the first woman in RIBA.

The main entrance and front elevation address McCall Close, while the hospital wards were strategically located at the rear to overlook the beautiful gardens and take full advantage of a south-west orientation. 39 Jeffreys Road was linked to the building to provide hospital staff accommodation with 41-43 Jeffreys Road, but the latter was destroyed during the Second World War and the site has remained vacant.

An old monochrome photograph of midwives from the Annie McCall Maternity Hospital dressed up in all sorts of mad fancy-dress clothing.
The midwives of the Annie McCall maternity hospital (click to enlarge).

The Annie McCall Maternity Hospital is a social and historical landmark in an urban environment. It has strong emotional associations with the local populace, as generations were born there. It is historically significant because it is a building founded and partly designed by pioneering women. Today, the Annie McCall Maternity Hospital building maintains a purposeful elegance, designed to be effective and serve its local community.

The Annie McCall hospital was finally closed as a health facility in 1981, after serving the community for nearly 100 years.